Non - Malignant Conditions
BMT (Bone marrow transplant) is also an effective therapeutic option for non- malignant conditions
as well. Non- malignant disorders are such conditions which generally include metabolic disorders, immunodeficiency, autoimmune diseases and hemoglobinopathies. Given below is a brief information about various types of non-malignant conditions
Sickle Cell Anemia and Thalassemia
Sickle Cell Anemia
- is actually an inherited disorder of RBCs (Red Blood cells). It is a genetic blood disease or disorder in which RBCs carrying oxygen in the body tends to develop abnormally. Instead of being flexible and round, the RBCs tend to develop in sickle or crescent shape. These abnormally developed red blood cells leads to clog blood vessel sections and this indeed leads to pain in the body. Frequent pain, frequent infections, vision problems and delayed growth are some of the major symptoms of sickle cell anemia that can have major impact on one’s quality of life.
- is yet another blood disease or disorder in which a person’s body tends to make abnormal hemoglobin form. This blood disorder results in extreme destruction of RBCs that indeed leads to severe anemia. Bone deformities in face, growth failure, fatigue, jaundice and breathing difficulty are some major symptoms of Thalassemia.
Inherited disorders of bone marrow failure
Genetic bone marrow failure diseases are some other non-malignant conditions that should be cured by availing best treatment provided by well- known specialist of doctor. Given below are inherited bone marrow- failure disorders-
- Fanconi Anemia- fanconi anemia is recessive genetic disorder which results in decreased production or creation of all kinds of blood cells. Aplastic anemia, birth defect, growth problems, blasts (abnormal WBCs) and failure of bone marrow are the symptoms of fanconi anemia.
- Dyskeratosis Congenita- sometimes also called as Zinsser- Engman- Cole syndrome is a progressive and rare bone marrow disorder which affects most body parts. Hypo- pigmentation, excessive sweating, hyperpitmentation are some major symptoms of Dyskeratosis congenita.
- Blackfan-Diamond Syndrome- also known as diamond- blackfan anemia is actually a congenital erythroid aplasia which is generally takes place in infancy.
- Swachman-Diamond Syndrome- SDS is a very rare congenital disease which is characterized by bone marrow failure, exocrine pancreatic deficiency, shot stature and skeletal abnormalities.
- Amegakaryocytic Thrombocytopenia- is a disorder in which body suffer from blood platelet deficiency. Easy bruising, impaired clotting of blood, decreased blood platelets and skin bleeding are the symptoms of Amegakaryocytic thrombocytopenia.
Primary- immunodeficiency disorders are those diseases in which body’s immunity system parts do not function normally. Important signs and symptoms that indicates Primary-immunodeficiency disorders
usually includes recurrent infections, poor growth or development, unexplained weight loss, recurrent ear infections, pneumonia & sinusitis, autoimmune disease, enlarged spleen and swelling on lymph glands.
Inherited- metabolic disorders are those genetic conditions which results in problems of metabolism. It is actually a range of disorders caused because of defective genes.
So these are some of the widely known non-malignant conditions
which should be treated by consulting best doctors or specialists.